This program is a collaboration among Hispanic Serving Institutions in the Southwest United States. The primary objective is to diversify the USDA Forest Service and Natural Resources Conservation Services labor forces, along with other natural resource agencies, by providing career-track opportunities for underrepresented students in Natural Resource Fields.
- Enroll a minimum of 50 students annually from diverse Natural Resource disciplines
- Provide outreach and recruit students from Southwest high schools and community colleges
- Increase awareness of the federal PATHWAYS programs
- Improve academic standing and graduation rates
- Prepare students for natural resource careers and graduate programs
- Assist with transition from 2 to 4 year institutions
- Career track and placement upon graduation with USDA and other federal agencies
- Increase the number of students pursuing careers in natural resource fields
- Increase graduate student enrollment in Natural Resource fields
Program Opportunities For Students
- Competitive Internships
- Lab mentorship program
- USAJOBS & PATHWAYS workshops
- Advising program
- Professional and academic mentoring
- Professional meetings and networking
- Program retreat
- Job placement
- Outreach programs
For more information on careers and opportunities with the USDA Forest Service visit their website at http://www.fs.fed.us/fsjobs/openings.shtml
Program recruitment initiatives are conducted at participating institutions each fall.
Please contact your University representative in New Mexico or Texas for specific dates.
Visit the NM NRCT Facebook.